"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, February 22, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Abandoned

Welcome to Friday. That special time each week when we celebrate the quickly approaching weekend and enjoy some Five Sentence Fiction, a story told in just five sentences. If you'd like to learn more about it, or give it a try yourself (which I highly suggest), just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. This week's prompt is abandoned. Let's get started!

She whispered the lullaby under her breath, careful not to walk too fast or swing the basket erratically. It was impossibly dark out and too many times she almost stumbled, making her entire body clench with fear.
Ever so slowly and carefully, she set the basket down on the doorstep, tucking the blankets around the darling little face that slept within. She tiptoed away, waiting until she was down the drive and on the sidewalk before sprinting away as fast as she could.
She didn't look back, didn't think about the family within and what would happen when they discovered that the thing in the basket wasn't a baby; all she could do was save herself.

I hope you enjoyed my twisted little tale. And if you did, I hope you'll share the link with friends and perhaps even follow this blog and come find me on twitter @MelanieKCole. Further more, I hope you'll follow the links below and check out previous week's editions and share your comments and insights. There's one more thing I hope for, and that's for you to have a great weekend! Thanks for reading!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Cherish
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Purple
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Frozen
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Ringing

13 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! I want more!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This prompt really tickled me, it was a fun one to write!

      Delete
  2. What? What? What was it? I want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to keep going with this one, it was a little too much fun...

      Delete
  3. The message which I feel is somewhat hidden is the way many individuals merely "toss" their pet [member of the family] out to fend for themselves and creating scores of strays. At least your individual has attempted to find a family to take this "family member" into the home.

    I've got two cats. One adopted from a shelter, the other rescued from a garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting insight. It's a good message, not one that I was trying to achieve with this piece, but an interesting thought.

      Delete
  4. What! What! Mercy, all I can think is what evil she's wrought upon these people. Nice twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This was a fun one to work with, glad you liked it!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, so creepy, I loved this...there is so much more to this tale, and I'd love to know what atrocity was hidden away! Wonderful twist with the prompt Melanie!
    Gave me that kind of tickle you get when you wished you'd had the idea yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow! That's an amazing compliment! Thank you!!

      Delete
  6. I love the twist; so very creepy. . . . what is in that basket?? Some evil upon that poor family. . . .beautifully written and very descriptive. xx

    ReplyDelete