"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, January 11, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Inspire

Welcome to Friday! It's time for a little Five Sentence Fiction, and this week's prompt is inspire. If you'd like to learn more about it, or give it a try yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. Enjoy!

She knew before she entered the room, before she even finished turning the door knob. It didn't stop the searing pain of her heart tearing in two at the sight of the limp form on the floor, nor did it silence the wail of anguish as she threw herself on top of it and sobbed. Her hands were bloody, her face wet with tears, when she heard his voice.
"Tell me," he said, stepping out of the shadows, "have I managed to inspire you?"
With a scream she grabbed the knife, still wet with blood from the floor and lunged at his smiling face.

I hope you enjoyed this week's edition of Five Sentence Fiction. Usually when I look at the word inspire, I automatically think of cheesy posters and bad quotes, so when I saw this week's prompt I immediately decided to go in the opposite direction. If you liked this week's story and you'd like to read past editions, just follow the links below. As always, I welcome and appreciate your comments. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Midnight
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Ending
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Vision
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Devotion

8 comments:

  1. ooooh! Dark & spooky!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually when I look at the word inspire, I automatically think of cheesy posters and bad quotes, so when I saw this week's prompt I immediately decided to go in the opposite direction.

    That's okay - I have the cheesy posters and bad quotes covered...

    Lots of action in those five sentences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very dark! Inspiration is usually full of fluffy bunny flowers, hearts and smiles but this really threw me. I loved it Melanie. You are a genius at telling a story in such few words and capturing the reader. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very grim, but inspires further reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We both went for the dark side of inspiration this week. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, very nice, like that a lot! Great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pulled us right in.
    What's next?
    While we're at it
    What's the prequel?

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I often think of inspire as a positive word and therefore I think "inspire" would be part of a positive, cheery scene. But no, you had us wanting to hurt the "person" in this short, short story! You had us all inspired to be part of your gruesome tale!

    Excellent!

    Monique

    ReplyDelete