"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, March 31, 2014

Monday Book Review - By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept

Welcome to Monday and this week's book recommendation.

BY GRAND CENTRAL STATION I SAT DOWN AND WEPT by Elizabeth Smart

 

I found out about this book from 101 LETTERS TO A PRIME MINISTER by Yann Martel. I had heard of it before but I didn't realize what it was about or its significance. It's the story of an illicit affair between a young woman and a married man, told in some of the most beautiful language I've ever read.

Every page is exquisite. It's poetry, pure and simple. Smart's choice of words is incredible. Her work is groundbreaking. When it was first published it was banned in Canada for its "immoral" content, but you can't deny that it's a work of art, well worth the read. 

I don't always love the classics, often finding them rather dry and boring, but this was different. It's beautiful, plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment