"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Book Review - River of Stars

Welcome to Monday and this week's book recommendation.

RIVER OF STARS by Guy Gavriel Kay

 

Normally, I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I listened to a reading and interview with Guy Gavriel Kay at Word on the Street last September, and I was floored by his eloquence, good humor and wisdom. His latest epic intrigued me and my husband, so we bought it and had him sign it. I've only finally gotten the chance to sit down and read it and I loved it.

There was a point in the reading when the interviewer told a story about the first time he ever read a book by Guy Gavriel Kay. He was working on his father's farm and he was supposed to be watching something, although I can't remember what. He had one of Kay's books with him and was reading it while he worked. Normally, when he would bring a book to work, he would read a page or two, look up and make sure everything was fine, then read another page or two and so on. But as he got into Kay's book, he couldn't keep from reading more and more pages and of course everything went haywire from there. The story was incredibly accurate, as I found the same thing happening to me. The further I got into the story the more I couldn't put it down, the more desperate I became to read just a few more pages.

I don't know how I could possibly sum up the plot. RIVER OF STARS has far too many characters and far too much intrigue to ever attempt such a thing. What I can tell you, is Kay's own description of his books, which I think sums it up nicely. "History with a quarter turn to the fantastic". It was a fantastic read, and it won't be my last. There are many more books by Kay to enjoy, and I plan to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment