"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Mentorship - Meeting One

I had my first official meeting with my mentor on Saturday and it went wonderfully. Already, I can see that this is going to be a really great learning experience. What they say is true, nothing beats one on one attention. Of course, that also means I have a ton of work to do, but frankly, I relish it. There's something about it that's so inspiring. I feel all fired up and ready to go.

Just in our first meeting, we've uncovered a plot hole that needs solving (and several possibilities on how to fix it), she's noticed a few patterns in my writing that just aren't working that I need to be more aware of (sometimes my descriptions/wording isn't very clear, I tend to repeat myself and I also fast forward through some of the action instead of telling the story). I can see my manuscript getting better and I can see myself becoming a better writer in the process.

It also helps that my mentor is super nice. We get along great. She's also a dog person, so we ease in with some dog-story sharing. I like meeting people who find their dogs as adorable as I find mine. There's nothing more gratifying than meeting someone who 'gets' it. Non-dog people mystify me. (Although they shouldn't, since I'm anti-kids and that seems to mystify people. Sorry, dogs are cuddlier and they don't speak. They officially win in my book.) Anyway, to get back on track, since we already have a good working relationship I think we have the recipe for success. She's serious in her efforts to make my manuscript better and to help me grow as a writer, and I'm serious in taking advantage of it.

To sum up, we're off to a great start and I'm raring to work! Can't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment