"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday Book Review - The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Welcome to Monday and this week's book recommendation!

THE COLDEST GIRL IN COLDTOWN  by Holly Black
 



I knew I was going to have to read this book after I finished one of Holly Black's other books, DOLL BONES. She's an amazing author, capable of spinning an un-put-down-able tale like no other. And if anyone could make vampires cool again (especially after what twilight did to them), Holly Black could. And she did. That's right, my friends. It's about vampires. Well, really it's about a girl named Tana and her catastrophic encounter with vampires at a high school party, and the events that follow. It's dark, twisted, and best of all, the vampires don't sparkle! Rather than idealize them, Black explores the darkness of their nature, the sickness that creates them and poses the question: is the monster something they've been infected with, or is it something that's been unleashed?

As I said earlier, Black creates tales that you simply can't put down. Not only did I burn the midnight oil reading it, when I finished I was distraught. I had raced towards the ending with unbridled delight and once I was there, I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid not to savour it more. I didn't want it to end. I loved being in Tana's world, dark as it was. It was surprising, never going quite where you expected, with a large cast of unique, lovable characters that made saying goodbye especially hard.

There's nothing better than a book you're willing to lose sleep over. Pick it up and prepare to be tired in the morning, this is one you won't want to end and one you won't put down either.

No comments:

Post a Comment