"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Editing and the Return of TV

Well, the summer of no TV ended midway through October, with the first light dusting of snow. The snow only lasted a day, but I spent that day nestled on the couch with my husband, blasting our way through the first two seasons of Episodes. (Great show by the way.) It felt amazing, the perfect way to relax on a Sunday.

However, now that November has arrived I've decided to throw myself into editing and that means figuring out how to balance work and relaxation (aka TV). With the weather getting colder and the desire to stay in and snuggle getting stronger it's getting harder and harder to focus on work. After all, I'm really enjoying the editing process but it's so hard to resist the chance to wrap up in a blanket with my husband and catch up on the shows I've missed.

So, to combat my natural inclination to be lazy, I've created a schedule. I make sure I always use the time when my husband's at the gym or out with friends to edit, when temptation is at its weakest. I also find it easier to edit and write in the evenings on weekdays, when my brain is already geared towards work, and allow myself the indulgence of sleeping in and lazing on the weekends, only working as much as I'm in the mood for. I find I need to give myself permission to just go with the flow on weekends, that way I have something to look forward to and it makes it easier to work on weeknights.

How are you combating the winter gloom? Do you find it more or less easy to be productive in the winter months? Share your thoughts in the comments section!

2 comments:

  1. My work is crochet! So it definitely lends itself to cozying up and watching movies in the winter! I actually end up being more productive!
    etsy.com/shops/crochetbymegs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Hopefully you make lots of beautiful things this winter!

      Delete