"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Watching Summer Fly By

Well, we're approximately half way through August, which means there's only a little bit of summer left. How much? It depends on September. We have years where September is glorious, like a bonus month of summer, and we have years where September is cold and bitter, sweeping away any warm memories of sunshine and lemonade with the last of the leaves. In the face of uncertainty I'm beginning to feel a little panicked. What if there's only a couple weeks left and then it's gone?

This week we were finally blessed with hot weather. Since the beginning of July it's been very mild, rather cool days non-stop. Which isn't awful, but it's not the kind of thing you can call up in your mind when it's minus thirty degrees Celsius and snowing outside. And it's not really shorts and a tank top weather either, which is a bit of bummer when you only get to wear that stuff for two months out of the year at the best of times. So, with this sudden gift of heat, I can't help but feel that it's entirely wasted sitting in an office (specifically, a very air conditioned one). What if it's the last we're going to get until next year?

I've been thinking I should see if I can get a day off this week, just a bonus day to run around soaking up sunshine before it's gone. It'd be even better if I knew someone with a great deck or a pool, but beggars can't be choosers. This might be my last chance to sip on a cocktail in the sunshine. Especially with being officially broke from Paris. There are no sunny destinations in my future this winter or for the next couple. I can't afford a vacation, but perhaps I can afford a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment