"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The End of a Residency

Yesterday was my last meeting with the current Writer in Residence, David Poulsen. It was sad, as it always is. The writer in residence is such a great program and every year they find brilliant writers to fill the position. This past year was especially wonderful. David Poulsen is not only a talented author of many genres, he's also warm, funny and goes well beyond the call of duty to help emerging writers. Under his supervision I've learned a lot. I feel I'm a much stronger writer and editor than I was at the beginning.

Of course, the lessons I've learned won't end with his departure. His residency may be over, but my education is far from it. I have a long stretch of summer waiting to be filled with writing and editing. It's time to put those lessons to good use. And when September comes, bringing with it the arrival of the new Writer in Residence, I'll be waiting to see what they have to teach me as well. Although they have some pretty big shoes to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment