"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, May 13, 2013

Monday Book Review - Sunshine

Maybe this week's choice was inspired by yesterday's abundance of it, or it could be that destiny simply made the book's spine sparkle just so as I walked by, reminding me that I simply must tell the world of it's brilliance, or it could be that the three books I read last week simply weren't up to snuff enough to offer up as a book recommendation, causing me to cast further back into my subconscious for a truly good read. Either way, you're in for a treat.

SUNSHINE by Robin McKinley

 

 Sunshine is not your typical vampire story. I know, I know. We're all sick to death of vampires. Twilight has ruled them horribly uncool for the foreseeable future. But I promise you, this book is so much more than the typical vomit worthy love story of the pathetic girl who can't seem to fit in meets charming, dark fellow who turns out to be a vampire with a heart of gold. Blech. Been there, done that. No, this story is filled with whimsy, magic, darkness and pure imagination. Gone is the melancholy beautiful man struggling through eternity. And good riddance!

The writing is exquisite (no big surprise, if you've read Robin McKinley's other works), the story completely original. I guarantee you've never read anything like it. I especially love the main character, Sunshine. She's strong, complex and without a single genre cliche. The story is told perfectly, unfolding just right at just the right times. It's the kind of book I love most. The kind you just can't put down.

So, if you're looking for something different, something intoxicating, this is it. A fantastic story told by an incredibly talented author. (I also highly suggest Deerskin, another work of hers that I just love.)

No comments:

Post a Comment