"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, March 29, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Flame

Ah, Friday! Take a deep breath in. Do you smell that? It's the smell of freedom. Freedom, and Five Sentence Fiction. Yes, it's that time of week again, that special day where I attempt to tell a story in just five sentences. If you'd like to learn more about it, or give it a try yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. This week's prompt is flame, which was especially fitting because I just finished reading HORNS by Joe Hill, a truly remarkable book. I'll be discussing it on Monday for my Monday Book Review so stay tuned for that! (Read the review here) But enough chit chat, let's get to it. Enjoy!

I came to with a shudder, the pain already vivid, coursing along my nerve endings like fire. I could see him standing over me, a blurred shadow from between eyelids nearly swollen shut, could smell the gasoline as he doused me with it. I didn't have much left, every limb heavy, tired of fighting, but I took what I had and coiled it inside me like a spring; when he got close, ready to light the match, I reached out and pulled his legs out from under him, sending him down into the puddles of gasoline.
He didn't respond well to my efforts, kicking me hard in the face as he got back up, smirking as he pulled a gun out of his jacket, pointed it at my face and whispered, "good bye, old friend."
I shook my head as I pulled the lighter from my pocket, "no point saying goodbye darling, you're coming with me."

Voila! I hope you enjoyed this little piece of fiction. If you'd like to read past week's editions, just follow the links below. If you really liked it, I hope you'll share it with friends and perhaps follow this blog and come find me on twitter @MelanieKCole. Either way, thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Conquer
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Paradise
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Whisper
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Empty

8 comments:

  1. Dark!!!! And very well told!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well told tale. The intensity and the emotion is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. lots of action and a fabulous closing line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. An action packed, vivid piece Melanie. I thoroughly enjoyed the energy you created here and the feisty character's last words. x

    ReplyDelete