"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, March 1, 2013

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Empty

Welcome to Friday and another edition of Five Sentence Fiction, the weekly challenge to tell a story in just five short sentences. This week's prompt is empty. If you'd like to learn more about what it's all about, and maybe give it a try yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. Let's get started!

She set the box down on the carpet and looked at it. It was bigger than she thought it would be, there were small scuffs in the dark wood and a few dents and dings. She took a deep breath, (the man at the flea market told her it would have everything she needed inside) and lifted the lid. It was empty. With a small cry she stood and kicked the box across the room; it wouldn't be until she went to sleep that night that she realized it wasn't empty at all.

There you have it. I hope you've enjoyed this week's edition. I hope you'll check out previous editions by following the links below. I treasure your insights and comments, so please feel free to let me know what you think below in the comments section. As always, I invite you to follow this blog and come find me on twitter @MelanieKCole. Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

  1. Another great one that leaves much to the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah!! I need to know!! What was in the box????

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous

    I had to read this three times before I realized what was in the box was precisely what the man at the flea market told her would be. The box like her life was full of possibilities, possibilities which she never had been able to see before, and which were all she needed to fulfilled all of her life's desires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wasn't until I read Robins comment that I realised that could have been exactly what the man at the flea market meant - perhaps she already had everything she needed?

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS for the compliment. How many times have you desired to have something only to realize later that you already have it.

      Delete
  5. This is a terrific message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see the idea of possibilities and great futures, but is it wrong of me to want it to be more malicious than that? lol...but that's the beauty of ambiguity...interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That's actually how I meant it! It's nice to see everyone interpreting it in such a positive light though. :)

      Delete
  7. Isn't it interesting how we always look outside ourselves for fulfillment. Excellet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful intrigue, you've left us pondering the possibilities of what she was looking for and what it is she has found!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! Of course it's not empty. . she will fill it with her own special items and dreams.it reminded me of Kungfu Panda with the dragon scroll. well written piece Melanie. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cliffhanger!! Now I'm wondering what it was she inadvertently loosed from the box....!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh!! Now I need to know what she found. I hope we find out in a future FSF...pretty please :) Nice job!

    ReplyDelete