"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, March 11, 2013

Book Review Monday

It's Monday, and I've decided that should mean something. Something good. Mondays are not generally a day I look forward to, so I've decided to celebrate them here on the blog with something fantastic: book reviews! Every Monday I will review a new book that I've read. I will only be reviewing books that I truly love and recommend, as I think there's enough trash talk on the internet. So, it's really more of a recommendation. I love getting book recommendations from people (so feel free to give suggestions) and I think they're important to every writer out there. There's no better way to get people to read your work than by word of mouth, and if you love someone's work, why not give them a shout out and let people know about it? So that's what I'll be doing here every Monday. This week, it's all about David A. Poulsen's new book, OLD MAN.

OLD MAN by David A. Poulsen





OLD MAN is a YA novel about sixteen year old Nathan Huffman. Nate has plans for his summer, big plans. And they're all centered around getting a girl. It's going to be the summer of the Huffman, that is, until his dad calls. Nate's old man left when he was five and since then they haven't had too much contact. But now, his old man wants to take him on a trip, a trip that will change Nate's perspective of his dad and life in general.

I can't say enough good things about this book. I really can't. The writing is fantastic, and the story grabs you right from the beginning. I'm not joking, from the first line I was hooked. 

I think what impressed me most was the voice. The author captures Nathan's voice so perfectly, you really feel as though you're inside his head experiencing it all with him. He feels so real and so honest.

From the start, I had a hard time putting this one down. It was like when you announce that you'll only have one bite of dessert, and as soon as you taste it you know you just lied. You can't put the fork down. I was greedy for this book, and like a really good dessert, when it was done I was perfectly satisfied. 

Read this book.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing! I can't wait to give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I just finished reading this book and it was wonderful! Thank you so much for recommending it!!

    ReplyDelete