"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Submit-O-Rama

One of the hardest parts of being a writer (at least for myself, but I assume I'm not alone in this), is submitting your work. I never feel like it's good enough and I get insecure the second I start scouting for publications. My queries and cover letters feel contrived and poorly written and despite my research I never feel totally certain that my writing really belongs anywhere. To make a long story short, I find myself avoiding it at all costs. But not anymore.

Three days ago I saw a link posted on twitter for Submit-O-Rama. Intrigued, I followed it and decided to give it a try. Basically, there are a few different options, letting you choose your level of participation. I'm going for the Uber Challenge, where you must submit at least 30 times in the month of October. So, pretty much once a day right up until Halloween. But you can knock out a couple a day and give yourself a head start.


Why am I being so ambitious? Because last week was one of the worst weeks I've ever had at my job. And don't get me wrong, my job is a good one. I work with great people and the work itself is fine. But it's not the goal. It's not how I want to spend my time for the rest of my working life. The goal has always been to live off my writing full time. And that's never going to happen if I don't start submitting my work. I'm not saying it'll be easy. I think I have quite the blizzard of rejections waiting for me this month. But it's an important first step. Hopefully, I'll get some helpful criticism and learn a few things along the way.

As of today, I'm on track. We'll have to see how the rest of the month plays out. I encourage you all to give your own form of the challenge a try as well. I'll keep you posted on my status and hopefully we can all cheer each other on. Good luck, my friends!

2 comments:

  1. Melanie!
    I do hope you will submit your work. From your flash fiction and 5 sentence stories & other work you have posted on your blog, I know you have quality works/stories/etc. in that computer of yours. Share your stories.

    Also don't worry what people will think. The focus is on decreeasing your anxiety of submitting your work. I believe after 30 days, submitting will be much easier than it is now. You may always have some anxiety, but it will no longer prevent you from getting your work out there. Remember, Stephen King submitted his stories when he was an early adolescent. He would put his rejection letters on a nail on the wall, which was above his desk.

    So there is much to learn with this challenge, especially getting your work out there, decreasing anxiety about what others will think of your work, getting used to rejections, and feeling the success of your hard work. GO MELANIE!!

    ReplyDelete