"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

No TV Makes Melanie Something Something

Lately I've been trying to cut down on my TV watching, in an effort to garner more time for reading and writing. Since I was small, I've been a complete TV zombie. I love it. Especially anything animated and funny. Even now, my husband has to literally shake me from my comatose state whenever the TV's on just to get my attention.

So, I guess it should come as no surprise that since my TV reduction, I've had a non-stop playlist of Simpsons quotes and opening TV show themes running through my head.

"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine making course, and I forgot how to drive?"

"Me fail English? That's unpossible."

Homer: "So what do you think Marge? All it needs is a title. I was thinking along the lines of 'No TV and No Beer Make Homer something, something."
Marge: "Go crazy?"
Homer: "Don't mind if I do!"

These are just a few of the many that have been playing on repeat for the last few days. I guess I'm going through TV withdrawal. And yet, whenever I start to feel weak and long to turn the TV back on again, it's a Simpsons quote that keeps me from doing it! The quote comes from when Bart is trying to use his imagination to entertain himself and comes up with nothing. Frustrated, he exclaims that TV has ruined his imagination. What better motivation does a writer need? So, I'm keeping the TV off, and my imagination in tact.

What vices get in the way of your writing time?

No comments:

Post a Comment