"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts

Yesterday I finished a fantastic book, but surprisingly it wasn't on my summer reading list. I saw this one while I was on vacation in Palm Springs, wandering through a Barnes and Noble. I was walking up and down the aisles, fingers trailing along the spines and covers, the taste of Mrs. Field's cookies still warm in my mouth. And that's when I saw it. The cover of this book.

Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon

I don't know if it was due to the aching of my heart, being away from my own beloved Great Dane, Maddie, or if it was just my innate love of the breed, but I saw that adorable Great Dane on the cover and I plucked it from the shelves immediately. When I read the back, I realized the Great Dane on the cover had not steered me wrong. It sounded fantastic! So, of course, I bought it, took it home and read it. The result?

The book was fantastic! Although the story does not actually contain a Great Dane (boo!), it does contain Bertie the Basset Hound, whose hijinks reminded me of my own odd little darling. The book features multiple characters, each dealing with secrets and problems of their own, whose lives become intertwined through their dogs. It's one of the best books I've read all year. Not only do I highly recommend it, but I INSIST that you read it immediately. You won't be sorry you did, although I must warn you, it may cause you to pull your own dog a little closer for a hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment