"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer Reading List

I don't know if it's just because I've been so busy lately, or if it's because the book I've been trying to read is as boring as a three hour lecture on geometry given in Greek, but I really haven't been reading much. Which is a problem for several reasons. First of all, I love reading. I love the way books can take you away, the way they can captivate you. Second, one of the most frequently given pieces of advice to blossoming writers is to read, and read as much as they possibly can. It's the best teacher available.

So, I'm taking a stand. This summer, I want to read at least a book a week. I've drafted a list of books I'd like to read this summer and I'm sharing them with you, just in case you'd like to join me. These are all books that have been calling to me from the book shelves, books that promise delightful adventures within their covers. As I finish each one, I promise to post a review and let you know if it's worthwhile. In the meantime, here is the list. Happy reading everyone!

1. These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen


I love Sarah Pekkanen. I read The Opposite of Me and Skipping a Beat. They were both utterly dazzling. I honestly believe she is one of the great writers of our time. I can't wait to dig in to her latest work!

2. The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay


I read The Birth House and adored it. Ami is an expert at beautifully crafted stories and settings. She brings history alive with characters you can really make a connection to. Can't wait for this one.

3. Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson


I've been a big fan of The Bloggess for a long time. I love her quirky humor and completely unique personality. Her blog posts have me laughing out loud every time. Her memoir is sure to be an utter delight.

4. The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty


I read the book jacket on this one and became instantly intrigued. I'm honestly not usually into historical fiction, but I just can't resist. I must read it!

5. Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore


My love affair with Christopher Moore started a few years ago when I read A Dirty Job. I love books that are strange and make me laugh. They're not always great, I didn't care for Fluke or any of his vampire ones, but I have high hopes for this one.

6. How to Eat a Cupcake by Meg Donohue


I read the first fourteen pages of this one on amazon and was hooked! I love the writing style, and the plot promises intrigue and delicious cupcakes. It's win/win!

7. The Lucky Dog Matchmaking Service by Beth Kendrick


Same story as the last book, I read the first few pages on amazon and I have to find out what happens next. I'm a huge dog person, so combining them and a great plot makes me pretty happy! I don't normally read dog books because the dogs always die, but this is one is not your usual tear jerker sob fest. Perfection.

8. Off the Menu by Stacey Ballis


I loved Good Enough to Eat, so much so that I forced everyone in my inner circle to read it. I could not pass up the chance to read her newest cuisine infused fiction.

9. Jeneration X by Jen Lancaster


I've been following Jen Lancaster since her first book, Bitter is the New Black. It was the first book to ever make me laugh out loud, leaving my husband to wonder what the hell was wrong with me. It's still my favourite, my second being Such a Pretty Fat. I can't wait to read her latest exploits.

10. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


I want to read this book for one simple reason: it was recommended to me. That's pretty much the only reason, but I think sharing great reads with one another is a very important practice, so I intend to give it a whirl.


No comments:

Post a Comment