"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Pirates

I can't believe we've reached the end of yet another week! The best part? It's time for another round of Five Sentence Fiction. This week's prompt is pirates. If you'd like to find out more about what it's all about, or try it yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. Enjoy!

Most people only worry about pirates when they're out at sea, but not us. Every full moon when the clock strikes midnight, we huddle, shivering with terror in our beds. 
It starts in the living room, the sounds of cannon fire and whoops of glee echoing up through the floor, the splashing of salty waves against their old wooden ship rumbling below. 
They patrol the hallways, ghostly waves rolling in beneath the doors as they whisper and beckon for us to join them.
They only have an hour before the sounds begin to fade and the waves recede, as we breathe a collective sigh of relief that we're safe for another month. 

Well everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! I welcome all of your comments below in the comments section, and cherish every one. If you're still jonesing for more Five Sentence Fiction, just check out the links below. Thanks and have a great weekend!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Harvest
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Faeries
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Medicine
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Lost
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Orange

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Reminded me a bit of Jumanji (though I don't mean that as a slight in any way) - but its like the house becomes an imaginative portal through which this whole other world can be seen. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful... it works on many different levels, not the least of which is a trip back to the simultaneous thrills & terrors of childhood fears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative response to the prompt. I like the idea of the monthly invasion waves ship and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an enjoyable story.
    I shivered along with the occupants of the house as I read it.
    I'd be well gone before the next full moon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like JT said this could be a metaphor for so many things, or just fantasy! I saw children in bed whilst an adult party goes on downstairs, then I reread it and saw pure fantasy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!! I really enjoyed this one. It was such a great prompt from Lillie McFerrin, as soon as I saw the word the wheels started turning. Thank you so much for all of your comments and praise! Very much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ghost pirates!! I love it!! Spooky and fun at the same time!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely take on the prompt. I can imagine a brave child hiding on the stairway to watch the action...dreaming of such adventures herself!

    ReplyDelete