"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, June 15, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Medicine

Welcome one and all to another beautiful Friday! I hope everyone has smashing plans for this weekend, and the weather turns out lovely. To start you off on the right foot, here is this week's edition of Five Sentence Fiction! If you'd like to learn more about what it's all about and maybe give it a try yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. This week's prompt is Medicine. Enjoy!

I held the glass above my head, examining the way the amber liquid glowed in the dim light. I took a deep, steadying breath and threw it down my throat, feeling it burn and sizzle all the way down. The effect was immediate, my bones breaking, my skin tearing, my entire body shifting and changing as I fell back into the dark abyss of my subconscious and disappeared.
Some medicines make you well. Mine releases the monsters.

I hope you enjoyed it, because I had a lot of fun writing this one. As always, I welcome all your thoughts, questions and comments below in the comments section (and greatly appreciate them!). Please feel free to follow this blog, or share this post with your friends. Don't forget to come find me on twitter @MelanieKCole. If you're still jonesing for Five Sentence Fiction just check out the links below. Have a great weekend everyone!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Lost
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Orange
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Silence
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Foggy

12 comments:

  1. So intriguing! Now I need to know what Monster she becomes and why she needed to turn into one!!!
    I'm left hanging again! But I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Really enjoyed the effect of the medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, lucy in the sky with diamonds (tentatively)? Nicely turned up flash, fun to read! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A life changing experience - terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like it! Nice descriptions make it come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! So many questions that make me want to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes. I know exactly what she is going through...you made her so real and got right to her deep core. Some people drink; become sex addicts; do drugs, sell themselves, seek psychiatric therapy...any way to deal with those monsters and inner demons. Wonderful take on the prompt. ps: I LOVE your Tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Powerful medicine and a tortured soul...great description!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Could it be that this medicine provides a form of escapism... a Jekyll and Hyde effect?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your wonderful comments!! Yes, Michelle, that's exactly what I was going for! I saw the word medicine and immediately thought of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Thanks everyone for being so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reminds me of the Jefferson Airplane song "White Rabbit." Go ask Alice...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the opening description of this, the amber liquid in the dim light. And the description of the effect of the medicine, from the burning and sizzling to the ripping and breaking, is right on. I'd read more if it kept going!

    ReplyDelete