"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Unevolved Man

As you may or may not know, my beloved new office job is with a construction company. On a daily basis any number of truck drivers, carpenters, electricians, and etc will pass through my office to visit with my boss. It's amazing how amongst all these masculine jobs are some of the least manly men I've ever seen in my life.

More often than not, these are the type of men to curl their lip at anything they feel is even the least bit 'unmanly'. Unfortunately, they don't realize that it is exactly this sort of attitude that renders them as unappealing and 'unmanly'. Working with your hands is sexy, but not when it comes with a side of homophobia, sexism, racism or cruelty to animals. This is not manly. These sorts of prejudice are based in fear. How 'manly' is it to be afraid you "might catch gay" from someone? Or work as equals with a woman? It's pathetic.

A real man is secure enough in himself that he doesn't care what other people say. A man who thinks it's "being a pussy to wear a helmet" when riding a bike or skateboard isn't a real man. A real man would protect his brain and not worry about what anyone else thinks.

I understand that to some men, farmers and ranchers mostly, animals are seen more as utilitarian. And that's fine. Generally, there's still a line of respect for what the animals gives them. But a man who thinks it's okay to kick a dog when it's in his way, who takes for granted the automatic and unconditional love a pet has for him, isn't a real man. Because a real man knows that true strength is found in mercy. That it takes courage to love and forgive.

No, the kind of man these certain fellows are is not a masculine one. It's an unevolved one. Weak and pathetic, these unevolved men need to be trimmed from the herd. Because the rest of us have no patience for the unevolved. We want real men, not unevolved ones.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed! I can't think of anything less pathetic than these people! (and I use the term people loosely!) I love your posts! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not only unattractive to the opposite sex, but I think unattractive in general? Who wants to be around a person who has that kind of negative attitude? I think you made a valid point. I am glad Kathleen showed me your blog. you raise awesome points and your writing is enjoyable to read and witty! :D

    ReplyDelete