"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Weekend has Arrived

So far, my weekend is off to a great start. I've already done two loads of laundry, I slept in this morning and I've gotten started on some writing and it's not even noon yet. I suppose most people wouldn't find that very exciting, or possibly not even that great. But enjoying myself this weekend, catching up on sleep and getting some work done are all I really want out of a weekend, and besides, it's bound to be better than last weekend.

Last weekend was the first actual weekend I've had in a very, very long time. Having been a massage therapist and worked at two different retail stores, I've never really got weekends before. I always worked Saturday, and usually Sunday too. I didn't mind it though. In fact, I liked it. I hate going out on weekends. I always try to get all my running around done on weekdays while everyone else is at work. I hate crowds of any sort. And having to go into a grocery store or mall on a Saturday is a big No-No on my list.

Anyway, with the start of my new Monday-Friday job, last weekend was my first regular person weekend. And I hated it. Even though I managed to stay away from crowds by doing errands at obscene hours (I went grocery shopping at 7:00 in the morning), I just couldn't stop being grumpy all weekend long. Both Saturday and Sunday, random things would just set me off and no matter how hard I tried to shake it, I was a pill to be around. At first, I couldn't understand it. I'd avoided the crowds, so there was no reason for me to be annoyed. And then it hit me. I'd spent the last six years working on weekends, and at jobs I didn't like. I'd been conditioned to be miserable on weekends! It didn't matter that I wasn't at work, my brain still thought I was supposed to be pissy. It made me laugh, and all week I've been preparing myself to be in a good mood for this weekend. And so far? Success! I feel great. Granted, I have yet to emerge from my house and face the outside world, but I'm confident I can remain happy and relaxed. And hey, who says I have to go out at all? It's my weekend. (Smug patting of my own shoulder). What are your plans for this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Well done!! My plans are pretty much the same! Get some stuff done but leave some time to relax! In fact I just finished one of the books on your reading list! The Night Circus was AMAZING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete