"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Search for Passion

I wouldn't say I always have the best of luck, but in a lot of ways I do. I'm particularly lucky to have a loving husband, an adorable dog and a house I will one day own. I'm also lucky enough to know what I want to do with my life. Writing is not yet my day job, it's something I do on the side, and it's not always easy or entirely pleasant, but I know that it's my passion; not everyone knows what their dream job is. Writing is mine.
That said, I'm still refining my idea of writing as my ideal job. I've learned that I'm not a journalist, nor do I enjoy phone interviews or really any interviews for that matter. I'm just not as fascinated by articles as I am by fiction. Novels will always thrill and delight me in ways nothing else can. I've also learned about new areas in writing that I didn't realize I'd enjoy. I love blogging and personal essays, opinion pieces and columns. (Not that this should come as a shock, I am, after all, pretty self centered). My ideas about writing and how it will function as my future day job are always evolving, but my passion remains the same.
Others are not so fortunate. The road to one's dream job is rarely an easy one, but I think it's harder when you don't know what your passion is, when you're still trying to figure out what you're good at (or could be good at). It doesn't always hit you over the head like a bag full of bricks. It's not always obvious. It can take a lot of inward reflection, or happen completely by accident. However we find it, I think it's important that we do. No job will be perfect, there will always be aspects of it that we hate, but it needs to be worth it. I'm not a big fan of editing or the overwhelming sea of rejection that comes with putting your work out there, but it would never stop me from continuing. I love it too much. I'm a writer. Although I know I'll probably never be a journalist.

1 comment:

  1. That is so true! Sometimes I think people get so lost in the negative they lose sight of why they started that job/career in the first place but for some who just don't know what they want to do I feel the greatest sympathy cause I've been there before!

    ReplyDelete