"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

It's Not a Sprint, It's a Marathon

I know you're all hanging on the edge of your seats, dying to know if I've been able to keep up my New Year's Resolutions so far, so I won't keep you in the dark any longer. Yes. It's been three days and so far I've written every day, at least 1500 words, and I'm grooming a piece to submit by the end of the week.
Which reminds me, how long does it take to make something a habit? Is it two straight weeks without fail? Or is it two months? Either way I have a long way to go before I can hold my head high and proclaim my resolutions habits. I have faith though. After all, I have managed to turn my skin care routine into a habit. I literally can't go to bed without washing my face and applying the various concoctions and creams that will hopefully keep me young forever. Can't do it. Can't even put my head down on the pillow. Same thing happens in the morning. I step out of the shower, dry my face and then absolutely must apply toner, various serums, moisturizer and eye cream. Won't leave the bathroom without it. And I have to brag, my skin is very appreciative. I get compliments all the time.
My point? It sure as hell isn't easy to take that extra time for my skin care routine when I'm exhausted and desperate to climb into bed, but I do it. I think if I can hold that same standard with my writing, I will have turned my resolutions into habits in no time. Or, more precisely, in the amount of time this sort of thing takes.
How are you all doing with your resolutions? Are you off to a smashing start or are you pressing the snooze button on getting going? Trust me, as irritating as it may be to get started, it's better than sputtering out before you've even begun. And those of you off to a roaring start? Remember, don't let yourself off the hook even once. Then the habit making begins from scratch again. We must be as vigilant as we are determined. And that's my rousing pep talk for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment