"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Post #1 - The Beginning

I sit in front of the computer screen, blinded by the light (so to speak, it's late and my office light is burnt out). After listening to far too many songs about following one's destiny and defying social norms (think Glee soundtrack; Defying Gravity, Don't Rain on My Parade, etc) I decided to go for it. I started my blog.

Why is this important? You see, not too long ago I discovered something important. I hate my job(s). (That's right, I currently have two). I hate them so much that when I think of going to work the next day I visibly shudder. My main job, or career if you prefer, is that of a massage therapist. I didn't mind it at first but after doing it now for four years it's starting to wear on my sanity. I have several repetitive strain injuries, make very little money, and quite honestly, if I have to rub lotion on another fat, hairy person with bacne I'm going to scream. Some people have it in them and some people don't. I don't. My second job is in retail. Weird how I ended up in customer service for both jobs when I hate people. I really should have been a hermit. Anyway, I decided I needed a change. A big one.

As I sat and pondered my dilemma one day, I got to thinking. What did I want to do with my life? What new career should I strive for? The thought of going back to school made me want to vomit, so anything requiring a university degree was out. I also needed to make more money, so a simple retail or administrative assistant position was out. What could I do? Was I even any good at anything else? The only thing that came to mind was writing. I love writing. I always have. When I was little I would always tell people that I was going to be a writer when I grew up. When did that stop being my dream? I don't know when, but at some point I took off my rose coloured glasses, looked at the world I lived in and decided to do something more practical. Well, now I've decided to put them back on. My parents have always told me that there's no such thing as the perfect job. That's all well and good, but can I at least like my job? Better yet, I want to love my job!

This brings us to right now and the start of my blog. I've decided to go for it. I'm going to try becoming a professional writer. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't but I have to at least try. This blog will be a personal account of my journey.

(P.S. Don't you just hate the word journey? Oprah and reality TV have ruined it for me. Every time I hear it I think of people trying to lose weight while crying about how they don't love themselves. Ick).

No comments:

Post a Comment